Inventory and Discovery
As the IT landscape of any enterprise is changing rapidly, discovering what software applications and what licenses are installed in your company is not an easy task.
It is however a necessary step to perform in preparation for an OS migration or for an audit. Organizations today often have geographically distributed office locations, some of which have restricted network access due to security or plain logistics. Work councils and data protection rules can also hinder the collection of data in large enterprises.
All these factors make it difficult for IT administrators to perform software application discovery, which is crucial when starting a software asset management project or when faced with an audit.
RayVentory offers comprehensive hardware and software scans either with an agent or through zero-touch agentless technology. It is a web or USB-pen drive which enables the discovery and inventory of computer devices, VMware, Hyper-V hosts, and Oracle database instances. It provides a smart scan and data gathering of physical and virtual devices at low costs as well as comprehensive reports about hardware, software, VMware, Hyper-V, and Oracle database servers. In addition, RayVentory removes barriers of complex IT infrastructures and possible limitations of the Works Council allowing data gathering initiated by the end user himself.
- Top Benefits
- Various collection methods
- Agent-based and agentless inventory of desktops and server systems
- RayVentory2go with USB pen drive – enables the discovery of unmanaged or disconnected devices
- Better preparation for software audits through accurate and up-to-date overview of software assets
- Customization possible to meet security requirements
- Saves time and administrative overheads
- Ability to schedule scans periodically, available 24/7
- Remote discovery possibility
SmartTrack provides industry leading innovative and highly scalable license management solutions. SmartTrack was the first SAM tool to include a SKU catalogue as an integral part of its solution, and includes entitlements and product use rights as standard. The new SmartTrack 4 version features a new attractive customisable dashboard with easy to access menu’s and intelligent search fields to quickly find your favourites.
The Aspera stable of products is designed in modules, so that more modules can be added as your SAM function matures. Aspera’s core product is called SmartTrack, which records, consolidates and manages all licenses and contracts in one place. Whereas some SAM tools are only effective in the desktop space, SmartTrack is equally at home in both the datacentre and desktop environments. After all, it is within the Datacenter, where the most complex and costly licenses reside.
- The SmartTrack repository records a license’s history, parent contract, updates, entitlements, organisational assignment and maintenance status.
- Other modules available include Inventory Connect Module (ICM) which consolidates all software data and takes inventory feeds from multiple sources with ‘out of the box’ connectors to all the main inventory discovery tools. Metric engines automatically calculate how licenses are required, and generate instant compliance reports to highlight over, under or incorrect licensing.
- Contract Management Module (CMM) is designed to manage framework and volume license procurement agreements to ensure that milestones are met, and dates for renewal or termination are not missed. CMM allows for immediate true-ups with all the required information available at your fingertips.
- Data Management Module (DMM) reports on the overall performation of your license management program and contains more than 20 ‘out of the box’ KPI’s. A personalised dashboard displays all relevant information for decision-making. Monitoring of performance allows for proactive improvement of data quality.
- Flow Control (FC) provides a real-time overview of the end-to-end process, including analysis and allocation of the current license inventory, generation of procurement requests, communication to the purchasing department, notification to changed statuses to software distribution and IT Service Desk.
- Financial Module (FM) assists with budget planning and breaks down costs by publishers, product and business unit. FMM allows internal cross charging and takes into account exchange rate fluctuations, tax and depreciation.
- There are also extension modules available for specific vendors or functions such as the Audit Defense Module (ADM), Optimisation Module (OSM) which provides ‘what if’ analysis to determine the best licensing and cost saving opportunities, and a standalone solution for SAP.
- SmartTrack is a 100% web based platform to deliver unrivalled data quality and license compliance, with menu options which allow for user based access. Aspera products are available in a number of different licensing options or as a managed service, and a simple pricing model is based on the number of end points.
Microsoft Windows 7 to 10 Transition Service
It is important to note that businesses who still operate with Windows 7 now only have less than one year left to fully migrate to Windows 10.
Get ready for Windows 10 with our simple migration solution. We offer a 7-step method to ensure application reediness and collision and compatibility management.
Software incompatibilities can occur and interfere with the operation sequence. The worst-case scenario leads to operating failure. To help with this, we developed the Microsoft Windows 7 to 10 Transition Service to offer safe migration. The 7 steps include:
- Windows 7 Migration 7-Step Method
- Machine Discovery
- Software Inventory
- Application Recognition
- Application Rationalization
- Application OS Collision Detection
- Application Collision Remediation
- Application Integration Detection
- Entire overview of your IT infrastructure
- List of software subject to be licensed and freeware
- Flexibility to use agent-based or agentless inventory
- Application Rationalization
- Inventory of all hardware and software assets, including server environments/data center
- Saving license costs by means of rationalization
- Minimization of rollout risks and cost of operation
Step 1: Scanning the network/s to discover all IP devices delivers high transparency, which again makes a holistic approach possible towards the Windows 10 migration. The list of all devices in use is the pre-requisite for detecting the complete software inventory
Step 2: By means of agent-based or agentless inventory (remote and local), you obtain a data collection, which can be used for further processing in systems like a CMDB or SAM etc. – and this data can also be used for application recognition. The list of raw software inventory shows the number of installations used and their versions.
Step 3: The comprehensive software recognition report includes detailed information on all recognized software products including the number of installations. This list not only shows risks, but also recognizes optimization potential by listing the variety of installations, identical core functionality, etc.
Step 4: You will receive our recommendation for actions to be taken for the rationalization of your software landscape whilst considering your software strategy. This includes not only the list of all software versions in use, but also a detailed description of existing alternatives whilst considering critical and economic aspects.
Step 5: We test your applications against the operating system guidelines of Microsoft. Based on a “traﬃc light status” we show you the possible utilizability of your software on a windows 10 operating system.
The detailed report shows incompatibility issues, such as invalid or outworn API requests, Windows components out of support, conﬂicts regarding security and user account control (UAC), incomplete restart sequences and further results.
By means of so-called smoke testing, the application will be tested regarding its installation, uninstall and repair.
Step 6: Conﬂicts can be eliminated by automatic remediation of installation resources by means of adding Merge Modules and Manifest Files, adjustments of installation sequences regarding the execution of custom action, or by replacement of invalid or static notations of standard folders.
Step 7: Not only do we test to ﬁnd conﬂicts between software products, but also the compatibility of applications against your ”Golden Image” (basic image including drivers, group policies, standard applications, etc.). Furthermore, we check whether an application can be virtualized. The tests allow to determine whether a software package is ready for a deﬁned target format and it checks on general criteria of virtualized operation modes.
The 7-step process comes with a variety of benefits. The top benefits include:
- Top Benefits